JOIN SUMMER SWIM TEAM
Silver Bear Swim School invites all swimmers ages 6-12 to join our summer league team! We are participating in the third season of the Sierra Summer Swim League (SSSL). The goal of the SSSL is to advance the interest of local youth in competitive swimming. Through four meets and a season-end Championship, the SSSL hopes to promote an atmosphere of sportsmanship and teamwork; establish a love for the sport of swimming; develop advanced aquatic skills and foster community spirit.
Participants must be able to swim 25 yards of both freestyle and backstroke to participate. Tryouts will run on Sunday, May 1st – come anytime between 11 am and 1 pm to our Sparks pool located at 5490 S. Los Altos Parkway.
The cost of SSSL participation is $300. This fee includes two workouts a week, weekly dive practices (Wed. 7:30-8 PM at our Reno location), a team cap, t-shirt, racing opportunities at 5 meets and a kick-off event (June 3rd @ 7 PM at our Sparks location). Meet entry fees are an additional cost. Due to local pool closures, most meets are outside the immediate Reno area, see link for details.
The summer league season runs from June 13th-July 30th. All workouts are held at our Sparks pool to get swimmers accustomed to swimming the 25-yard distance in preparation for meets.
SSSL Rules & Regulations
- The 2016 Sierra Summer Swim League runs from June 13th – July 30th
- The non-sanctioned Twilight and Championship meets are open to all novice recreational swimmers of local swim teams & swim programs participating in the SSSL
- Twilight Meets are limited to 2-3 hours and the Championship Meet to 4 hours
- Swimmers must swim in a minimum of two Twilight meets to be eligible for the Championship meet
- Birthdate: You swim the age you are on May 30th, for the entire summer swim league season
- Costs: Twilight meets – approx. $10/$15 per swimmer payable to the host team(s). Championship meet – approx. $25 per swimmer payable to the host team(s).
- Age Groups & Events:
Twilight meets will mostly run under open age groups. The Championship meet will run using the following age groups:
6 & Under, 7-8 and 9-10 age groups:
Events: 25 free, 25 back, 25 breast, 25 fly, 100 IM, 100 Free Relay and 100 Medley Relay*
11-12 and 13-18 age groups:
Events: 50 free, 50 back, 50 breast, 50 fly, 100 free, 100 IM, 200 Free Relay and 200 Medley Relay*
*Championship meet only
SSSL Meet Schedule
Wednesday, June 15th – Carson pool (start time TBA – usually after 3 PM)
Saturday, June 25th – Incline pool (start time TBA)
Thursday, July 7th – Carson pool (start time TBA – usually after 3 PM)
Saturday, July 23rd – Northwest pool (start time TBA)
*Saturday, July 30th – Carson pool (start time TBA)
*This is the Championship meet. Your swimmer must participate in a minimum of two other meets to be eligible for the Championship.
Registered summer league swimmers and their parents are invited to attend an SSSL social! SSSL team members can free swim 7-8 PM while parents pick up summer league gear and coaches answer any lingering questions. We will be providing an “after swim” treat for all.
When: Friday, June 3rd @ 7-8 PM
Where: Sparks pool
Please RSVP on your SSSL registration form